Skip to main content

Matthew versus the Barnes Foundation



There's something oddly relaxing about going to an art museum. For me personally, it offers me a moment to both unwind and focus on the intricacies of the art on the wall. I feel that paintings greatly benefit from being seen in person as opposed to viewing on a computer screen or on a print. I can see and follow the brushwork and ultimately come away with a greater appreciation of the artist's skill and creativity. Last Friday, I went to the Barnes Foundation as a part of Philadelphia's 100 year celebration of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. It has long been on my list of museums to visit and while I have visited the Philadelphia Museum of Art,  I have never visited the Barnes before. Now on a cool September night, I decided to take that plunge.


The Barnes Foundation building houses the art collection of  Philadelphia native Dr. Albert C. Barnes a chemist, physician, and businessman who lived in late 19th through the first half of the 20th Century. The collection was originally housed at the Barnes estate in the Pennsylvania suburb of Merion but moved to its present location on the Parkway in 2012. Barnes started his foundation in the 1920s as a way to provide students a way to study art and his collection grew to include several famous Impressionists and modern painters.

The paintings and art pieces in the Barnes Foundation purposely avoid the trappings of traditional art museums. There are no signs displaying the name of the paintings or artists and there also no helpful signs to provide background on the or thematic placement of the pieces. The Barnes places paintings in a much more cluttered or crowded manner than of that the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Mr. Barnes believed that this was a more natural way of viewing art. I found this approach rather jarring even off putting  at first but eventually it grew on me. I would describe it as a Summer popcorn blockbuster that hits you with piece after piece contrasting with an Oscar bait (traditional museum's)' slower more methodical out affair. There are downsides to this approach. The display style is not very intuitive and can be very intimidating to those with no prior knowledge of art or art history. There are books offered in each room offering details on each work but I did not look at them. In a crowded museum, I can see how the books would not be very practical. 
Images are from Vanity Fair, Print Magazine



The art while being primary being that of European impressionists, also includes Medieval and American art as well as pottery furniture and some iron ornamental work. French artist Pierre Renoir  is heavily featured in the collections as are his fellow impressionists Van Gogh, Manet, Monet, Seurat, and Degas, Two paintings from Black painter Horace Pippin were also an honest surprise. There were was a large Japanese piece as well as a handful of El Greco's work. A separate wing of the museum featured an exhibit called Urban Riders. It details work created by French-Algerian artist Mohamed Bourouissa who organized an inner city equestrian event in 2014. The exhibit is primarily sculpture but also includes some video and community made pieces.

While I enjoyed viewing the art, I could not escape how empty and underutilized the Barnes Foundation overall space felt. The large central atrium is startlingly bare and the bottom floor primarily consists of bathrooms and a gift shop. The close placement of artwork on the walls made it easy to overlook the ironwork and antique furniture which are not given nearly the same level of prominence.  The Native American pottery is left the languish on the bottom floor between an auditorium and the gift shop The museum seems rather large for a comparatively small collection. While I could spend hours in the Philadelphia Museum of Art, The Barnes Foundation can be seen in full within an hour. However the Foundation's museum is barely a half decade old and will surely evolve in the future.



Overall I greatly enjoyed my trip to the Barnes Foundation. Being a fan of Impressionist style I found much to love in the selection of work being displayed, I came away with a greater appreciation for Renoir and Philadelphia artist William Glackens, The Barnes approach to art museums is novel but often jarring as placing traditional Medieval art next to that of El Greco did the former no favors. For casual art fans and people who have been to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. he Barnes Foundation is well worth a visit as it provided a different type of art museum experience. There may not be much of a need for a second visit for most people but I heartily believe that the Barnes on the Parkway is worthy of time and attention of both students and the community at large.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matt V.S. Sonic the Hedgehog

Growing up, I've had several video game systems including the Gameboy, NES, and Nintendo 64. However I would be remiss if I did not mention the Sega Genesis. The year was 199X (specific year I can't recall) and my brother and I made the jump from 8 bit to 16 bit. At the time this blew our minds. We played games such as Road Rash, Mortal Kombat, and several excellent licensed games based on Batman, Disney, ect. However I can clearly say that one of my favorite titles was Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Compared to the more primitive 8 bit era and its immediate predecessor Sonic 2  possessed certain qualities which made it not only the most successful game on the console but one of my favorite of all time. Sonic 2 was bigger, faster, and better designed than Sonic 1. From Emerald Hill and Chemical Plant to Oil Ocean and Sky Fortress, the game had amazing variety and design and also giving Sonic his trademark SpinDash. (This excludes the death pit in the Mystic Cave level). Giving the abi

Matt and the Joker's Five Way Revenge

    Last year saw the passing of acclaimed comic book writer Denny O'Neill. O'Neill had a long history with many DC Comics superheroes as a writer and editor and is best known for revitalizing the character of Batman among others starting in the 1970s. I decided to pick up a copy of one of the more famous Batman issues of this era, Joker's Five Way Revenge which was written by O'Neill and drawn by Neal Adams. The story featured in Batman # 251, was released in November, 1973. While I am gaining a better appreciation for 1990s comics, I largely avoided avidly reading 1970s issues due to their seemingly dated nature and tropes. After reading this issue, I had some thoughts on both how the character and mythos of Batman has evolved over time and a greater appreciation for a more grounded Dark Knight. In Joker's Five Way Revenge, the Joker is seeking revenge for a presumed betrayal by killing members of his former gang and Batman is striving to stop him. By the time t