Skip to main content

Matt Vs. Smashfest 2014



Following Nintendo's presentation at the E3 computer and video game exposition, select Best Buy electronic stores hosted Smashfest where fans had the chance to try out Super Smash Bros 4






Super Smash Bros is a party fighting game that brings together characters from several Nintendo franchises. that debuted in 1999 on the Nintendo. Since then its sequels Super Smash Bros Melee and Super Smash Bros Brawl have garnered skilled and passionate followings on the GameCube & Wii respectively. I originally got into the franchise after seeing a commercial for the N64 which my ten year old self thought was out of this world.



Super Smash Bros 4 is being released this year for both the 3DS and the Wii U making it both the first portable Smash Bros. game and the first HD version of the game. I went to my local Best Buy an hour early  expecting a minimal line however what I was met with was the oddest mix of bros high-schoolers, and parents with a few children mixed in that I have ever seen. I talked to people in line and heard a few have driven nearly two hours to get a chance the play the Wii U version of Smash 4.  Unfortunately since Best Buy only had one Wii U set up, only four people could  play the game at once and the line progressed at a snails. While in line, a Best Buy representative was walking around and giving people the chance to try out the 3DS version. I initial had little interest in the portable version as I thought it would just be a watered down version of the full console experience. However after playing through 5 minutes of the side scrolling Smash Run  mode, the game definitely rose to the top of the pile for when I eventually upgrade my DS. Smash Run is similar to the Melee's Adventure mode however in this mode, characters collect items and power ups from defeating enemies that can be used to upgrade character stats for use in battles and challenge level. I played this mode as Luigi who plays similar to his Brawl counterpart. The transition from playing Smash Bros with a Gamecube controller  to 3DS controls was rather jarring.




After a rather embarrassingly long wait in line I played Smash Bros 4 and while I was impressed by the game, it felt very similar to Brawl. In retrospect, perhaps a bit too similar for my tastes. I chose Little Mac from Punch-Out, one of the new characters introduced in this game after some debate from other players in line. I struggled with the game initially due to being inexperienced with the Wii U Pro controller. After playing Super Smash Bros with a Gamecube controller for over a decade this control change could not be overcome. Nintendo will be addressing this issue by re-releasing the GC controller along with a GC controller adapter that can plug directly into the Wii U console. I did rather poorly in the timed match, far from my days of ruling the game room at college. The novelty of playing Little Mac wore off as he was too fast for his own good and I had to learn his moveset on the fly. Perhaps I would of had better luck sticking to my Brawl favorite Luigi. Nevertheless, I did  enjoy my time with the game and toward the end of my play time, I noticed that the game did play slightly faster than Brawl . Following the match, I received a commemorative pin and some stickers for good measure.  Smashfest provided me taste of the game and by the time the Christmas release date rolls around, I will be more than ready for the main course.



Nintendo owns Super Smash Bros. & all the characters therein (except Sonic, Mega Man & Pacman). Pictures taken from the official Smash Bros website http://www.smashbros.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matt V.S. Sonic the Hedgehog

Growing up, I've had several video game systems including the Gameboy, NES, and Nintendo 64. However I would be remiss if I did not mention the Sega Genesis. The year was 199X (specific year I can't recall) and my brother and I made the jump from 8 bit to 16 bit. At the time this blew our minds. We played games such as Road Rash, Mortal Kombat, and several excellent licensed games based on Batman, Disney, ect. However I can clearly say that one of my favorite titles was Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Compared to the more primitive 8 bit era and its immediate predecessor Sonic 2  possessed certain qualities which made it not only the most successful game on the console but one of my favorite of all time. Sonic 2 was bigger, faster, and better designed than Sonic 1. From Emerald Hill and Chemical Plant to Oil Ocean and Sky Fortress, the game had amazing variety and design and also giving Sonic his trademark SpinDash. (This excludes the death pit in the Mystic Cave level). Giving the abi

Matthew versus the Barnes Foundation

There's something oddly relaxing about going to an art museum. For me personally, it offers me a moment to both unwind and focus on the intricacies of the art on the wall. I feel that paintings greatly benefit from being seen in person as opposed to viewing on a computer screen or on a print. I can see and follow the brushwork and ultimately come away with a greater appreciation of the artist's skill and creativity. Last Friday, I went to the Barnes Foundation as a part of Philadelphia's 100 year celebration of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. It has long been on my list of museums to visit and while I have visited the Philadelphia Museum of Art,  I have never visited the Barnes before. Now on a cool September night, I decided to take that plunge. The Barnes Foundation building houses the art collection of  Philadelphia native Dr. Albert C. Barnes a chemist, physician, and businessman who lived in late 19th through the first half of the 20th Century. The collecti

Matt and the Joker's Five Way Revenge

    Last year saw the passing of acclaimed comic book writer Denny O'Neill. O'Neill had a long history with many DC Comics superheroes as a writer and editor and is best known for revitalizing the character of Batman among others starting in the 1970s. I decided to pick up a copy of one of the more famous Batman issues of this era, Joker's Five Way Revenge which was written by O'Neill and drawn by Neal Adams. The story featured in Batman # 251, was released in November, 1973. While I am gaining a better appreciation for 1990s comics, I largely avoided avidly reading 1970s issues due to their seemingly dated nature and tropes. After reading this issue, I had some thoughts on both how the character and mythos of Batman has evolved over time and a greater appreciation for a more grounded Dark Knight. In Joker's Five Way Revenge, the Joker is seeking revenge for a presumed betrayal by killing members of his former gang and Batman is striving to stop him. By the time t