Skip to main content

Matt VS. After Earth

After Earth was one of the biggest bombs of last year both critically and commercially but I could not get myself to stay away. This is also the logic that lead to me seeing M  Night Shamalan's Last Airbender which proved to be a massive disappointment. I enjoyed Will Smith in Independence Day, Men in Black and even I am Legend so my expectations  may have been higher than they souls be. After Earth stars Will and Jaden Smith set in the far future as a father and son that crash land on a planet which they discover used to be Earth. However it is not the same Earth that we know as it has evolved to be hazardous even deadly to Humans. They are not alone as a deadly alien creature with a taste for fear and human blood has also crashed with them. Now Will and Jaden must survive a harsh climate to reach a beacon to call for a ride home.  The movie's main theme is that Fear isn't real but the danger is.

The trailer and posters for this movie were  lying when they implied that Will Smith was the main character or even had half the screen time. Will's character was incapacitated in the initial crash, so this film's primary narrative rests on the shoulders of Jaden Smith. Jaden however does not possess the charisma or acting experience of his father so the films somewhat suffers for it. In movies or books, I really am not a fan of overly whiny characters which is why I dislike Catcher in the Rye and now months later I mostly recall Jaden whining or crying. While I know being stranded on a foreign world would be a massive shock for the character, I don't feel like they did much to make the character likable.

Will Smith is a military hero while Jaden is an aspiring cadet who yearns for his father's approval and is haunted by his sister's death years before. Jaden trying to be his own person while looking to please his father might show a few shades of reality for some. So Jaden has to cross miles of treacherous Earth with a limited  amount of drugs that lets him survive with his father trying to guide him remotely.  Will has to deal with his injuries and the possibility that he may not still be alive when help comes. Ultimately Jaden overcomes both the environment and his fears and slays the deadly alien creature. The movie ends with Jaden contacting help and being rescued and Will retiring from active military service and gaining a better appreciation for his family. While the film didn't thrill me the wing suit sequence did stand out as at least memorable. I feel that at some point during the summer, I may have been burnt out on sci-fi having seen Star Trek Into Darkness, Elysium, and Oblivion especially of the dystopic future variety. After Earth suffers from not being  notable or compelling  in a sea of other Summer Sci-Fi films. Had Will Smith been in a more starring role, perhaps this film would have been better received. Despite how underwhelming this film was, I would say that After Earth was still less of a a waste of money than the Last Airbender.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matt V.S. Sonic the Hedgehog

Growing up, I've had several video game systems including the Gameboy, NES, and Nintendo 64. However I would be remiss if I did not mention the Sega Genesis. The year was 199X (specific year I can't recall) and my brother and I made the jump from 8 bit to 16 bit. At the time this blew our minds. We played games such as Road Rash, Mortal Kombat, and several excellent licensed games based on Batman, Disney, ect. However I can clearly say that one of my favorite titles was Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Compared to the more primitive 8 bit era and its immediate predecessor Sonic 2  possessed certain qualities which made it not only the most successful game on the console but one of my favorite of all time. Sonic 2 was bigger, faster, and better designed than Sonic 1. From Emerald Hill and Chemical Plant to Oil Ocean and Sky Fortress, the game had amazing variety and design and also giving Sonic his trademark SpinDash. (This excludes the death pit in the Mystic Cave level). Giving the abi

Matthew versus the Barnes Foundation

There's something oddly relaxing about going to an art museum. For me personally, it offers me a moment to both unwind and focus on the intricacies of the art on the wall. I feel that paintings greatly benefit from being seen in person as opposed to viewing on a computer screen or on a print. I can see and follow the brushwork and ultimately come away with a greater appreciation of the artist's skill and creativity. Last Friday, I went to the Barnes Foundation as a part of Philadelphia's 100 year celebration of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. It has long been on my list of museums to visit and while I have visited the Philadelphia Museum of Art,  I have never visited the Barnes before. Now on a cool September night, I decided to take that plunge. The Barnes Foundation building houses the art collection of  Philadelphia native Dr. Albert C. Barnes a chemist, physician, and businessman who lived in late 19th through the first half of the 20th Century. The collecti

Matt and the Joker's Five Way Revenge

    Last year saw the passing of acclaimed comic book writer Denny O'Neill. O'Neill had a long history with many DC Comics superheroes as a writer and editor and is best known for revitalizing the character of Batman among others starting in the 1970s. I decided to pick up a copy of one of the more famous Batman issues of this era, Joker's Five Way Revenge which was written by O'Neill and drawn by Neal Adams. The story featured in Batman # 251, was released in November, 1973. While I am gaining a better appreciation for 1990s comics, I largely avoided avidly reading 1970s issues due to their seemingly dated nature and tropes. After reading this issue, I had some thoughts on both how the character and mythos of Batman has evolved over time and a greater appreciation for a more grounded Dark Knight. In Joker's Five Way Revenge, the Joker is seeking revenge for a presumed betrayal by killing members of his former gang and Batman is striving to stop him. By the time t